After featuring our listings in this neighborhood, we wanted to remind you of it’s history. #fbf
to One of DC’s oldest neighborhoods; the name "Anacostia" comes from the anglicized name of a Nacochtank Native Americans settlement along the Anacostia River. Captain John Smith explored the area in 1608, traveling up the "Eastern Branch"—later the Anacostia River—mistaking it for the main body of the Potomac River, and met Anacostans. Even after the founding of Maryland, Leonard Calvert, in a letter to a merchant in London, described "Anacostan" as one of the three best places in the colony for trading with natives. Abolitionist Frederick Douglass, often called "the sage of Anacostia," bought Cedar Hill, the estate belonging to the developer of Uniontown, in 1877 and lived there until he died in 1895. The home is still maintained as a historical site. Anacostia, always part of the District of Columbia, became a part of the city of Washington when the city and District became coterminous in 1878. On January 27, 1886, the House of Representatives Committee on the District of Columbia voted in favor of renaming Uniontown to Anacostia. The historic district retains much of its mid-to-late 19th-century low-scale, working-class character, as is evident in its architecture. In 1957, an Anacostia landmark, the World's Largest Chair, was installed at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and V Street, SE.